British singer-songwriter Sam Smith unfortunately pulled out of the iHeartRadio Music Festival minutes before he was due to perform.
The 26-year-old was in Las Vegas to perform at this year’s iHeartRadio Music Festival along with other artists such as Mariah Carey, Shawn Mendes, Justin Timberlake, Fleetwood Mac and Panic! At The Disco, just to name a few.
Host Ryan Seacrest took to stage informing fans of the bad news, “Due to unforeseen circumstances which transpired after his rehearsal, it became clear that Sam Smith would unfortunately not be able to perform tonight,”
“We love Sam. Sam has been part of our iHeart family for many, many years and we look forward to seeing him really soon,” he added.
Smith was due to perform a 25-minute set at 8:05pm.
The singer’s rep released a statement to Variety saying, “Sam is extremely sorry he is unable to perform at tonight’s show and wants to apologise to his fans.”
The rep didn’t confirm the cause of the cancelation, but according to many sources, Smith pulled out of the performance due to losing his voice.
The Too Good at Goodbyes singer tweeted an hour after he was said to perform saying the cancelation was “due to unforeseen circumstances.”
It’s said that the British singer had been complaining about his throat and that it was hurting. Given that the performance was airing live across the world, the decision was made to cancel his appearance. Childish Gambino took Smith’s place and went on to perform earlier than he was scheduled.
On Saturday, Smith took to Twitter and tweeted a photo of himself sitting in a doctor’s office with a message apologising to the fans for missing out on the performance. Smith went on to assure the fans that he is well but needs to rest up before he goes on his Asian tour which starts on October 2 in Singapore.
What are your thoughts? Let us know by commenting below.
– Written by Samia Sahid